The ethical side of the Digital Single Market Strategy04 luglio 2018 -
Di Maria Vittoria La Rosa
Within the context of the European Digital Single Market Strategy, the development of an environment stimulating investments in artificial intelligence (AI) has been identified since the beginning as a priority to be tackled. To this purpose, several actions are being undertaken at different levels.
From a purely economic perspective, Vice-President for the Digital Single Market Andrus Ansip has recently stated that “We need to invest at least €20 billion by the end of 2020”. Also, from a regulatory standpoint the Commission has repeatedly stressed the importance of working on a legislative framework making the free flow of non-personal data easier and opening up more data for reuse. But besides financial and regulatory aspects, there is more. There are ethical implications.
It is crystal clear that AI may raise moral questions that must be addressed. In this respect, we could refer to the need to level the playing field from an ethical perspective. This is indeed a big deal as in the EU ethical matters have traditionally been left to the Member States’ choices, such fact resulting in a variegated pattern of approaches to themes such as abortion, same-sex marriages, LGBT adoption or constraints to scientific research. In other words, despite the “common values” referred to under the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights, it can be easily recognized that there is no common approach in Europe on a number of sensitive matters, but rather a mosaic of approaches which is coherent with the EU “United in diversity” motto. Considering this, no Member State is currently prepared or willing to give up its sovereignty on ethical matters, and the EU itself is seldom showing interest for a strengthening of its influence on these topics.
Altri Articoli della categoriaArchivio
- 25 settembre 2018 -GDPR: applicazione e accertamenti senza proroga
- 15 settembre 2018 -E-Skills and the Future of SME’s Marketing
- 12 settembre 2018 -Il riconoscimento del diritto al contraddittorio preventivo in ambito tributario, ovvero il superamento della tutela differenziata
- 12 settembre 2018 -Titolarità e contitolarità dei dati personali alla luce della decisione della Corte di giustizia sulle fanpage di Facebook
- 06 settembre 2018 -Digital Single Market & Market Access: a grey area someone should shed some light on